Monday, January 30, 2012

Running High....

It's a myth.  It's bullshit.  It doesn't happen.  Running sucks.  It's hard, it hurts and it's boring.  But I did it.  I completed the Half Marathon that I signed up for, the one that was on my 30 before thirty list.


To be fair, I have run one before, 5 years ago, pre-kids, you know- when I was in great shape, worked out everyday, weighed 25 lbs less and took care of myself.  But guess what... I only ran it 3 minutes slower than before, I crossed the finish line at 2 hrs and 15 min.  whew.


I trained hardcore this fall and then Thanksgiving hit, and I didn't run.  And then I didn't run some more.  Then January hit and I started to run a little.  Then I didn't run.  Then I realized I only had 2 weeks left before the race, and in typical Teddi fashion of procrastination I started to prepare.  The first seven miles were easy, I run 6-7 miles quite a bit, I was texting my mom and listening to my music, and updating FB, yeah that was me.  Then I started to get a bit tired, then mile 9 hit, and while I didn't hit what people refer to as the 'wall' I just got tired.  It was cold.  It was windy, and my feet weren't moving as fast as I would have liked them to.  Mile 11.  Mile 11 was a doozy.  I finally had to stop and walk a little bit.  An old lady passed me.  I started to get mad and so I started to run again, albeit a bit slower than before.  Mile 12.  whew only one mile to go.  I picked up the pace knowing I only had 10 minutes left and less if I moved faster.  That is one thing about running, the faster you go the less time it takes.  I just have to keep thinking that.  Mile 12 was uphill, a nice steady incline the WHOLE WAY.  That is just plain mean.  I passed a few people on that incline, mostly because when I see the end I can power through anything, I saw Jerbear and Lauren waiting for me and I crossed the line.  I immediately wanted a massive amount of food, a hot shower and a bed.


waiting at the start line...


halfway...

Finished!


Oh and guess what.... I'm doing another Half this spring.  I must be crazy!  But I am determined to get my time close to 2 hours.  If you don't know- I am crazy competitive on certain things... this, running, apparently is one of those things, board games is another but that is a story for another time.  And I am only competing against myself and the clock with running.  damn.


Before you ask- yes I was incredibly sore the next day.  Surprisingly it wasn't my calfs or hammy's it was my hip flexors.  Apparently I need to do some additional stretches, you know, cause I wasn't doing any...



2 comments:

Sara said...

AWESOME! I didn't even know you were training...now I need to try to find you on Facebook:) Way to go. 13 miles. Wow!

Shelly said...

I love your commentary on the race! You had me cracking up! I'm so happy for you and proud of you; This is such a big deal! You look awesome! CONGRATS!