Wednesday, June 6, 2012

bookworm...

One of the things on my list of 30 before thirty was to read 30 books.  I have started a list to see where I am since I have a month to knock out some more books.  Now that it is summer time and we have more time at home and just relaxing I should be able to get at least 5 more books down before d-day.

This list is from memory since I didn't write any down, so just consider it all the books that stayed in my head because I really loved them or hated them...

In no particular order...

1-3. The Hunger Games series...  seriously the best books of the year.
4-6. The Fifty Shades of Gray series...  There is/was so much hype over this series that I had to check it out.  Eh... it's ok.
7. The Witness by Nora Roberts
8. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
9-10. The Digital Photography Book Volumes 1 & 2 by Scott Kelby
11. 4 hours to a 4 Hour marathon by Dave Kuehls
12. The Tigers Wife by Tea Obreht
13. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
14. The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 book
15. Creative, Inc. by Joy Cho & Meg Mateo Ilasco
16. Lethal by Sandra Brown
17. Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts
18-20.  The Mysterious Benedict Society books 1-3 by Trenton Lee Stewart.  ...I fell in love with the cover art.  They were definitely a good read.  It is a young adult series, so relatively easy, fun read.  All three books were really good.  About really smart kids that are recruited to do a little spying for an eccentric old person.  I think there is a fourth book out now too.
21. Into the Woods by Tana French
22-23.  Overbite and Insatiable by Meg Cabot
24-34.  The Undead Series by Mary Janice Davidson
35.  Dracula by Bram Stoker

Currently reading...  
Prague Winter by Madeleine Albright
On Deck...
The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides
The Paris Wife by Paula Mclain
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame Smith
Wild by Cheryl Strayed

I guess I can mark reading 30 books of my list... Didn't realize I had read that many this year, and that isn't even all of them, those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head.  Also- going back over my list it looks like I may have had a small obsession with Vampires this year-13 books that have vampire characters, and one more on deck.  I tend to find something I like and then read every book that is similar to it until I get annoyed, and then move on.

I love the act of going to the bookstore or library and actually picking out books and holding them, and the smell of a new book is heaven.  However, I broke down and bought myself a Kindle this year.  I got tired of lugging a book with me everywhere, and then forget traveling... I would have a layer of books across the top of my suitcase which adds significant weight.  The Kindle is wonderful, I have about 10-15 books on there now and it is so easy to take with me, it lights up so I can read in the dark while Jerbear is sleeping, but also has different settings for reading outside in the middle of the day.  Love it.

Off to enjoy some hot, hot sun.

No comments: